Most of you know I started running again last year. I've made it a big focus in my workout routine because it is something that I look forward to doing and it makes me feel like I can take on the world. Any workout regimen that you follow should make you feel that way; if what you're doing doesn't, keep trying different methods until you find one that does.
While running feels amazing in the act, the recovery isn't always as awesome which is why I foam roll, stretch, drink LOTS of water, and routinely get massages. It's important to me to not only keep my body flexible and ache-free, but to prevent injuries as well. If you're also a runner, you're familiar with terms "plantar fasciitis" and "runner's knee". Although minor, these two pesky injuries are very common in the runner's world and can be avoided with proper self-care.
Since moving out to Fulshear, TX three years ago, I've been on the hunt to find a spa that offers the services I like. A Massage Heights Retreat only five miles from my home recently opened so I decided to give them a try. To be honest, I was expecting a very franchise chain-like feel, but I was delightfully surprised by the warm and welcoming experience I had. Whether your priority is injury prevention or relaxation Massage Heights Retreats offer it all. From Deep Tissue Massages to Foot Scrubs; Cupping to Facials.
Valentine's Day is just around the corner!
Consider treating yourself and your special someone to a Couples Massage.
Some of my personal favorite services offered are...
Deep Tissue Massage
Hot Stone Therapy
Something special that Massage Heights Retreats offer that I haven't found at other spas is aromatherapy. Prior to your message session, you'll be asked which aromatherapy scent (if any) you would like to enjoy during your session. I like to switch it up, but really enjoy the one called Relax. The sweet orange, lavender, and ylang-ylang scent is great for stress relief and smells incredible.
IF YOU'RE LOCAL, LISTEN UP!!!
Visit my friends at either of the two locations below, tell them you read my post, and receive your first Massage Elevation for FREE! Yes, your read that right!
Choose from their Massage Elevation (upgrade service) options:
Some things that are important to plan for and know when scheduling your first visit...
1. Know what you'd like to get out of your appointment. If you're not sure what service you want, be sure to tell the representative on the phone or person at the front desk that you're looking for relaxation (for example). In my case, I would explain that I'm a runner and would like relief in my legs.
2. Plan to come in 10min prior to your appointment to fill out some paperwork in their relaxing lobby.
3. You'll be greeted and introduced to your personal therapist, and directed to your private room. That's the perfect time to explain anything you wrote on your paperwork. For example, "I don't like a lot of pressure". Your therapist will ask you during your session if the pressure is to your liking. Be honest with them, this is your treatment.
4. If you're getting a massage of any kind, drink lots of water before and after your massage. They always have fresh lemon water provided in the front lobby.
5. Be consistent. You're best results will come from routine appointments. That is true for both massage/muscle work as well as skin therapy. Be sure to check out the affordable membership options after your treatment.
How do you practice self-care?
I'd love to hear about your experience after visiting one of the two retreat locations. Message me here and let me know how it went.